Revitalizing Reading Buddies
My Diamond Service Clover
Project by Ryan Guernsey
Did you know that teaching kids to read when they
are young is one of the most important things to give them the best start in
life? Read-ing Buddies is a valuable program that our club leaders started many
years ago at the Aspen Hill Library. For my Diamond Clover service project, I
want to revitalize our Reading Buddies program to draw in more participants
each month and give them new and exciting crafts and activities.
I plan to research new craft ideas that go well
with holiday themes through the year. I will make sample craft kits with
instructions and restock our Reading Buddies supplies. I plan to include more
physical activities and social stories to help kids to develop motor and social
skills. I hope to do yard sales and get donations to buy a small para-chute and
bean bags to add fun motor activities to Reading Buddies.
Please help me with my Diamond
Clover project by looking around at home for books for ages pre-K to grade 3
and bring them to the Feb-ruary club meeting. I can also use educational DVDs
like Word World, Sid the Science Kid, Magic School Bus, or Scholastic videos.
Bilingual books would also be great. I am glad for any donations of games that
pre-K to grade 3 can use or donations towards the para-chute and bean bag kit.
I will also appreciate receiving markers, cray-ons, colored paper, card stock,
pipe cleaners, tissue paper or other art supplies to replenish our Reading
Buddies supplies. I am planning to organize a Spring fundraiser at Chipotle to
support our club's Dia-mond Clover projects. Thanks for your help!
