Friday, May 10, 2019

4H Foundation Award Gala Ceremony By Bettina Mästle Torres


4H Foundation Award Gala Ceremony

By Bettina Mästle Torres

 

Due to inclement weather in January,  the Gala was rescheduled and took place the 17th of February, 2019 at the  Martin Westend Center in Baltimore, MD,                     

As we arrived, my family sat down on their designated spot. Everyone was dressed very fancy, and there were a lot of people. For the first few minutes, we talked with the family sitting at the table with us, who came from another rural county in Maryland.  My parents enjoyed very much the conversation, as they were discussing farm mattes, and comparing this family’s experiences of raising goats, pigs, and chickens and our much more modest, but still enjoyable adventure of raising five hens in our backyard!

Then, the ceremony started. Different people gave speeches, some boring, some interesting. Award receivers were asked to go to the back on the room according to their pillar number. Initially, I was confused, so I just followed the others. Luckily, I got it right, because I was Pillar 1, as Katja and I would be receiving our Diamond Clover 5. All  award receivers stood on a line, and we slowly made our way to the stage. Everyone got a turn on the stage to get their certificate and picture taken. Katja and I were pretty far back in the line, so it took some time before we got on the stage. Once I had taken my picture, I got handed a big green  mug and made my way back to my seat. I really liked the mug!

After a long time of announcing all the award-winners, participants were finally  allowed to have dinner. I liked the cake the most.

 All in all, the evening was an interesting experience. We met several of our Lucky Clovers 4Hers ( the Guernsey and the French). I also  liked seeing  again a couple of people from Tawasentha camp!