Wednesday, November 21, 2018

Memories from the Fair: My Lucky Cake Auction - 2018


Memories from the Fair: My Lucky Cake Auction - 2018
By Justin Wan
This year I decided to try bake cakes as fair entries. At the Montgomery County Agricultural Fair.  It all started from a YouTube videos with crazy but amazing decorated icing cakes, which gave me an urge to become myself a world top notch cake artist ;-). I also read last year cake auction story from Luck Clovers’ newsletter and it motivated me even more to try this time.
However, I quickly found that making cake was not as easy as I saw in the videos, and also that there are so many rules, regulations, and types of cakes in the fair catalog. I could hardly make up my mind.
Then came Mrs. Williams to the rescue! Mrs. Williams is a great baker and baked countless treats for 4H events. She received the Dorothy Emerson 4-H Citizenship Award in 2013. of the Maryland 4-H Foundation. She guided me through the whole process. I  quickly gained confidence thanks to her support.  
Finally after two weeks of work, I was ready! I had made three cakes and pie (one Vegan Avocado chocolate cake, one decorated icing cake, and one asparagus pie).  I submitted my entries! Now, I only had to wait. I was ecstatic later that day, to find out that I had won two first places, one 2nd place and that my vegan cake was selected to the cake auction! I was also happy to know that Leah’s  and Seth’s cakes also won and made it to the Cake Auction!   

After the fair parade it was time for the Cake Auction! I walked in front of judges and auction crowd, nervous but excited.  It was amazing to see families and groups eagerly bidding for cakes  to raise money for supporting 4-H . This year, our club were able to raise a total of $1,350 at the Cake Auction!
This is my lucky cake auction story in 2018. I learned to try something new. Failure might looks scary but you just have to be willing to try and then prevail, especially with the support of our 4-H families, and of people like Mrs. Willams. I cannott wait for the fair next year!