A Word from The Former King
by Ayla Charlery
I had the opportunity to interview my brother, Eric
Char-lery, who was elected Montgomery County Fair’s King in 2017-2018, with Mindy Burton as the Queen.
Talking to him made me understand all that goes into preparing to apply for the
Royalty Court and the fun activities that you do, once selected for the Court,
as a King or a Queen.
Ayla: How
did you get interested in competing for the Crown, at the Fair?
Eric: I
became interested in being a part of the fair royalty and competing for the
crown through Patrick O’Hanlon who was the reigning King at the time. Patrick
was also an active member of the Lucky Clovers Club. In addition, club leaders
such as my mom, Mrs. Cathy Dobos, and Mrs. Martha O’Hanlon made me realize the
many benefits of trying out for the royalty court.
A:Can you describe the roles of the King
& the Queen of the Fair? Do they must only participate in the Parade?
E: The King and Queen have numerous responsibilities. First
and foremost, they serve as the face of the Montgomery County Agricultural Fair
for the entire year. The reign starts from coronation to coronation the
following year at which time the crowns are passed on. Another key role is
attending various shows at the agricultural fair and handing out the awards.
Some other activities we participated in was cutting the 500lb cheese wheel and
the cheese carving contest. We also had
to engage with the public and share the wonderful benefits of participating in
the fair. Lastly, the Royalty Court members participate in the parade, before
the coronation.
A:Looking back, what would you remember as
the most interesting moment as a King in the Fair, and why?
E:The most interesting moment for me was the times I spoke
with people at the Fair: I saw how interested they were in 4-H, the Royalty
Court and the fair in general.
A:What experience would you single out, which
would have never happen to you , had you not be a King?
E: Quite frankly, I would not have spoken to so many people I
don’t know. Being King took me out of my comfort zone.
A:As a former King, what will be your advice for those
Lucky Clovers reading this interview who
would like to run for King or Queen of the Montgomery Fair?
E:The first advice I would give to my fellow Lucky Clovers
would be: work on your resume early preferably before January 1st.
Also, it would be best to write your essay and submit your application before
the deadline which I believe is April 1st. It is also a great idea
to meet with and learn from a former royal court member who could serve as a
mentor. I would be more than happy to discuss the process in more detail and
conduct mock interviews. My ultimate advice would be to Just Do It!
Don’t be nervous and don’t hesitate. It’s a great opportunity and experience!
